Sunday, June 24, 2012

Zelda: Symphony of the Goddesses

This last Friday night Ander accompanied me to the nerdiest thing we've ever been to in our lives. We attended the Zelda: Symphony of the Goddesses concert at the Long Center in Austin. It. Was. Fantastic.

I've always been a huge Zelda fan. Honestly, I remember my dad and brother playing the original Zelda together and I've been a fan ever since. It doesn't really get much better than a little guy dressed in green running around with a sword. And he sure has come a long way since the old Nintendo days.
1012

1987            

















Link is the perfect video game silent protagonist. He can basically do anything. There really hasn't been a bad Zelda game yet, although Majora's Mask for the N64 didn't ever really interest me. The music is classic, and at this concert they pulled out all of the stops.

 The Austin Symphony were the ones that played the music all night, and on that big screen behind them they showed gameplay and scenes from every single Zelda game that has ever been released. It was even timed perfect with the music. It was really impressive.

 The second kid from the front of this balcony is wearing a little pointy Link hat... I don't know if you can see it very well, but... there were a lot of those. A lot of people in full on green tunics/tights/boots too. And just in case any of you are wondering: I do draw the line somewhere. I wore nice jeans, a dressy top, and heels. No costumes for me.

 This was the line for the bathrooms. Cell phones all around. It blows my mind that this generation is in a perpetual state of looking down. No one looks up and around anymore... they might miss something on Facebook Mobile.
 The line for the bar during intermission was huge. I don't really know why, I thought these people were enjoyed the night, not trying to dim it by alcohol.























This was the most impressive costume of all. This girl MADE this whole thing herself and subjected herself to every nerd's dream by standing there in the middle of the foyer and letting everyone take pictures of her (and with her). Of course she loved every minute of it, and milked it for all it was worth. I was very impressed with her sewing skills.

The concert was so magnificent, I loved every minute of it. Even though we were surrounded by people playing their Nintendo DS's during the intermission, and people in full costume, it was TOTALLY worth it! The music arrangements were to die for. What better music for a symphony to play than the classic Zelda theme?

Original


Symphonic

No comments:

Post a Comment